Thursday, May 17, 2012

Broken Odometer? Oh yeah, Custom Plates Coming Too!

I noticed shortly after purchasing this car that the speedometer worked awesome, but the car was not recording the miles I was driving. I looked around to see if this was a common problem, and fortunately it was! I found a write up, had a friend come over (Chris), and help me because it's always good to have an extra set of eyes and hands when working with small, fragile parts. The write up for fixing the issue can be found here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/72/32/

Here are a few pictures of the procedure:

After I removed the cluster from the car...
Photobucket

With the speedo removed...
Photobucket

Here is the back side of the speedo...
Photobucket

I didn't take any pictures, but we ended up measuring a pin that holds/turns the numbers and used a chisel to make a very minute notch that would catch the gear it was meant to.

Here are a few other pictures...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


In the end...WE FIXED IT!!! The odometer and trip-o-dometer both work like they should and now the car can be honest again! Furthermore, my favorite part about having the miles work means I can track my gas mileage. I use this app called "Fuelly." I have attached a pic from my phone of my "Fuelly" profile below:

Photobucket

Can't wait to see what kind of mileage the three speed automatic transmission gets, haha.

Finally, I drove to the gas station and filled up, reset the trip-o-dometer and brought her home. I'll update next time I fill up and calculate what mileage this 37 year old car is currently getting!

Photobucket

I'm still throwing around ideas on what to do next with the car. I'm thinking that I'll get the interior redone before the exterior, because it would be really nice to not be afraid of what's under the seat and it would also be nice to go bare feet while driving once in awhile...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to mention, on Tuesday (5-15) I drove the car through DEQ and it passed the emissions test! I couldn't believe that the car passed so easily too. I attached a picture of the slip below:

Photobucket

I ordered custom plates too! I have a temporary tag on the back window now since the custom plate will take two or three months to arrive. The plates are going to say "75 BMW." I'm pretty excited about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment