Sunday, May 27, 2012

Breaking Down...

As stated in my post a few days ago, I took the '75 on a long road trip. The car ran great the whole way to my destination, but it started running pretty rough when I arrived in town and it had trouble at idle when stopped (would often die). I couldn't get the car running after parking it for the evening. After calling a 2002 mechanic and asking for guidance, I was told to clean out the idle jet (valve thing? I can't remember) and the car started up. It ran very rough at lower rpm's going through town and would try to die if I took my foot off the accelerator. But, once I was out of town, I found the car ran great at highway speeds. It appears to run good at higher rpm's, and won't run, or run very rough at low rpm's.

Photobucket

I got the car started and then left for my venture back home to Oregon. I stopped once for gas, then the car wouldn't start for two hours :( Once it started, I got it onto the highway and it ran great until I had to come to a stop sign. I was then stranded for five hours until my wife could come with our 4Runner and a trailer to bring me home. She drove 130 miles to come get me, I was very thankful!

A pic of where the car broke down:
Photobucket

Here a picture of us at a gas station on the way back...
Photobucket


I think the issue is fuel related. The car ran really rough at low rpm's, but when the rpm's were up and I was on the highway it ran very smooth. We dropped the car off at the local BMW shop a few miles from our house, which means hopefully Tuesday when it opens back up they will have time to take a look at it. My trip back was going to be a five hour trip, putting me home around 5pm. Unfortunately, after the day was over, I arrived safely at home around 2am and in a separate place than my car :( Looks like Blue will be getting some attention and money put into her in the near future...

No comments:

Post a Comment