Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Beginning of My New Obsession

Tonight (May 5th 2012), I picked up my first classic car. The car would not start upon the turn of the key, which then the owner informed me that she had not driven the car in almost two years and it was most likely out of gas. After going to the gas station, buying a gas tank, filling it with gas, and then putting the gas in the car, she started right up after a few punches to the gas pedal. I also noticed that the car was missing a breather hose off the valve cover and the air filter on top of the carburetor was completely missing as well (but she will be taken care of, don't you worry). She is a 1975 BMW 2002 in Fjord Blue Metallic. When I began the hunt for an old BMW, I was somewhat worried about reliability, maintenance, and other factors that come with restoring and maintaining and old automobile. But after further research and getting behind the steering wheel of this '75, I instantly fell in love. The car came with a large pile of receipts and made it 22 miles home at 65 mph the whole way. Many of the dash components do not light up, and she did die once a few blocks away from the house, but I am determined and very excited about making her run and look as good as new in the future.

Her is a picture of her at the local gas station filling up to make the trip home since she was bone dry and had not been driven in over one year!

Photobucket

Although she looks very rough, I have high hopes that she will one day be parade and car show material!


The quick run down on the car:
*1975 BMW 2002
*96k Miles
*Automatic Transmission
*Original everything (including radio!)



The next day I dedicated six hours on spraying moss, leaves, and sticks off the car and giving her exterior a full detail. After getting the car somewhat clean with a thorough wash, I used clay bar, compound, polish, and finally wax on her 37 year old paint. She looks much better (although the shade sure does help)!

Photobucket

When I finished washing the car I continued to my last step in the detailing process which includes applying tire wet to the tires. I quickly realized that the tires were very bald (didn't notice this the day before when I purchased the car because I test drove/bought her at night. There was even steel coming out of the front left tire! So the following day (Monday the 7th of May) I went on over to America's Tire and purchased four new Falken Sincera tires 185/70/13 so that she would be acceptable to drive without the fear of a blow out! They look very nice on the car and fit her body well.





No comments:

Post a Comment